HIFU (High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound)
About the Department
HIFU (High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound): Local Treatment of Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer in male population in the world and in our country. Screening can help find some types of cancer at an early stage, when they may have a better prognosis. Prostate cancer may not show any symptoms, though symptoms of early prostate cancer can include difficulty with passing urine, a slow, interrupted flow of urine, frequent passing of urine, including at night, and incontinence symptoms.
As with other types of cancer,screening for and management of prostate cancer is one of the most challenging and significant issues, so early detection and improvements in therapy have resulted in a dramatic decrease in prostate cancer deaths.
High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound therapy, which is a new procedure approved by the FDA to remove prostate tissue as a non-surgical treatment option in prostate cancer cases, can provide great advantages. The latest version of the HIFU technology performed at Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital ensures that only the diseased area of the prostate is treated and the surrounding tissues are not damaged. After the HIFU technique is performed and the anesthesia wears off, you can usually go home.
HIFU also eliminates the risks such as urinary incontinence or sexual dysfunction, which are among the possible side effects of classical prostate surgery.
What Is The HIFU (High‐intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) ) Therapy For Prostate Cancer?
Radiation therapy or surgery may be used to treat your prostate cancer. Many side effects have also been linked to this treatment methods. As a result of side effects, High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU method) has been developed to treat localized prostate cancer and has been used for the treatment of benign and malignant tumors for several years. A specially designed probe delivers HIFU trans-rectally to the prostate and achieves focal tissue destruction. However, in the first HIFU technology, the whole prostate was burned. This had side effects. The most up-to-date version of the HIFU technology, which is a non-invasive, non-ablative technique, applied at Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital, which is referred to as focal point-of-point therapy, eliminates the risks such as urinary incontinence or sexual dysfunction by ensuring that only the diseased area of the prostate is treated and the surrounding tissues are not damaged. This new device is only used in Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital in Istanbul.
Let our dedicated oncology professionals help you achieve quality health care.
We have developed a team of high quality physicians;
- Prof. Dr. Volkan Tuğcu
- Op. Dr. İlker Çömez
- Prof. Dr. Barış Bakır
- Doç. Dr. Selim Bakan
- Prof. Dr. Akın Yıldız
- Uz. Dr. Aria Forouz
Frequently asked HIFU Questions:
Which patients can be treated with HIFU?
Noninvasive approach, The HIFU method is mostly used in the early stages of prostate cancer (localized prostate cancer)to achieve tumor cell necrosis without radiation or surgical excision.
Patients with the HIFU method recommended;
- HIFU method is a more appropriate treatment option since it provides advantages in more young patients, who do not want to experience urinary problems and have active sexual life.
- Patients with an early stage prostate cancer, T1 or T2,
- The cancer is in the initial stage, Patients whose age or general condition is not suitable for prostate cancer surgery
Patients seeking minimally invasive treatment preferences against radical surgical treatment methods
- Patients, who have previously had abdominal surgeries
How Is the Local Treatment of Prostate Cancer, HIFU Therapy applied?
Treatment of prostate cancer with HIFU is done by giving a light dose of anesthesia to the person. Instead of light rays, though, HIFU uses sound waves that a doctor points through the wall of man’s rectum. The sound waves heat up to temperatures as high as 90 F and can kill cancer cells in just a few seconds. Urology physicians use magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and ultrasound imaging to tell them exactly where the cancerous tumor is and where to point the sound waves.
In this way, targeted treatment is carried out by protecting the healthy prostate tissue around it.
How long the Local Treatment of Prostate Cancer, HIFU Therapy take?
It usually takes around 1 to 2 hours. The duration of the HIFU procedure is directly proportional to the size of the area to be burned. Sometimes HIFU procedure for prostate cancer treatment lasts more than 2 hours because of the size of the area of malignant tumor.
What are the advantages of the HIFU when compared with other treatment options?
- It offers an important advantage in protecting sexual life and urinary control.
- In open surgeries, the patient stays in the hospital for 3-4 days. As radiotherapy treatment takes 30 days, the patient has to come to the hospital almost every day. HIFU operation is a single session application. Only patients, who have received HIFU can return to their home after staying in the hospital for 1 night. Or, if the procedure is applied in the morning, patients can be discharged in the evening of the same day.
- Complication risks are very low.
- It can be applied easily in cases of recurrence after open surgery, closed surgery, radiotherapy or HIFU.
- It gives the chance to intervene in the cancer tissue without damaging the surrounding organs and tissues.
- It is not exposed to the harmful effects of radiation.
- Patients who are not eligible for surgery can benefit from HIFU.
- The pain threshold differs for everyone, but HIFU procedure is defined as a painless application.
- It can be applied in advanced age patients who cannot receive anesthesia.
- Acupuncture Center
- Aesthetic, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Allergic Diseases
- Anesthesiology and Reanimation
- Aviation Medicine
- Bacteriology and Microbiology
- Biochemistry Laboratory
- Bone Marrow Transplantation Center
- Brain Health Protection Program
- Breast Health Center
- Cancer Genetics Clinic
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- Cardiovascular Surgery Intensive Care Unit
- Check Up Center
- Chemotherapy Center
- Chest Diseases / Thoracic Surgery
- Child and Young Sports Health Center
- Children Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit
- Coronary Intensive Care Unit
- Cosmetic Medicine
- Dermatology (Skin and Venereal Diseases)
- Diet and Nutrition
- Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders
- Elekta Versa HD SIGNATURE
- Emergency Service
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases
- Eye Center
- Foot Health Center
- Gastroenterology / Hepatology
- General Surgery
- Gynecologic Oncology
- Gynecology / Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Hair Transplantation
- Headache Center
- Hematology / Blood Diseases
- Hemorrhoid and Anorectal Diseases Unit
- HIFU (High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound)
- Home Care Services
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) Andrology and Genetics Center
- Infections Diseases
- Intensive Care
- Internal Medicine
- Interventional Neuroradiology
- Interventional Radiology
- Kidney Transplantation Center
- Laboratory of Genetics
- Liaison Psychiatry
- Liver Transplantation Center
- Low Appetite Child Policlinic
- Medical Management
- Medical Oncology
- Microbiology Laboratory
- Muscle Disorders
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Nuclear Medicine
- Obesity Surgery Center
- Oncology Center
- Onkolojik Cerrahi Merkezi
- Oral and Dental Diseases
- Organ Transplantation
- Orthopedics and Traumatology
- Pain Polyclinic / Pain Clinic
- Pedagogy (Child and Adolescent Psychology)
- Pediatric Allergic Rhinitis
- Pediatric Cancer Center
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Pediatric Endocrinology
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Pediatric Hematology
- Pediatric Infection Diseases
- Pediatric Nephrology
- Pediatric Neurology
- Pediatric Psychology
- Pediatric Pulmonology
- Pediatric Surgery
- Pediatric Urology
- Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation
- Pulmonary Diseases
- Radiation Oncology
- Radionuclide Therapy Unit
- Respiratory Therapy Center
- Robotic Kidney Transplant Center
- Robotic Surgery Center
- Robotics Rehabilitation Center
- Sleep Disorder Center
- Spinal Health Center
- Stroke Rehabilitation and Research Unit
- Tissue Typing and Immunology Laboratory
- Transfusion Center
- Triage floor and Medicine
- Wound Analysis and Treatment Center
- Memorial Sisli Hospital
- Memorial Atasehir Hospital
- Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital
- Memorial Ankara Hospital
- Memorial Antalya Hospital
- Memorial Kayseri Hospital
- Memorial Diyarbakır Hospital
- Memorial Dicle Hospital
- Hizmet Hospital
- Medstar Antalya Hospital
- Medstar Topcular Hospital
- Memorial Wellness
- Memorial Etiler Medical Center
- Memorial Lara Medical Center