10 Risk Factors Causing Obesity

10 Risk Factors Causing Obesity

One of the most important health problems in the world is obesity; wrong feeding habits come up due to sedentary life and lack of information. The frequency of obesity in our country is increasing day by day for these reasons. Obesity can destroy the balances in the body and cause many serious diseases such as cancer, and most importantly, loss of life. Studies show that the rate of obesity incidence is over 40% in women and 2 times more than men. MD Tolgay Akin from department of General Surgery in Memorial Antalya Hospital gave information about the causes and treatment of obesity due to "May 22 European Day of Obesity".


Increases the risk of cancer, diabetes and heart disease

Obesity is a disease that negatively affects quality of life and duration. People who have overweight problems can lose weight only by 3-10% with diet and exercise. The remaining 90% of patients are at risk of cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular problems. Obesity is an important factor that affects life negatively not only in advanced age but also in young people. For example; The life expectancy of a 20 year old teenager decreases by 12 years compared to his peers.

May cause infertility in men

In men with obesity problem, low quality of sperm due to overweight is a prominent problem. Normally in men, a small amount of estrogen hormone is secreted from fat tissue. However, in obese people testosterone, which is the male hormone, transform into estrogen and decreases the level of testosterone in the blood. Accordingly, sperm quality decreases. Hormone irregularities are higher in men who are overweight than those with ideal weight. Obesity also increases the possibility of colon and prostate cancers in men.

The reason of 500 thousands cancer cases within 10 years

Obesity is not an aesthetic or posture problem, but is a disease. Research shows that obesity will cause 500 thousand cancer cases per year within 2030. Obesity has a direct effect on 7% of cancer formations. It is also one of the most important reasons of many chronic diseases. If a person loses approximately 1 kilogram, 100,000 cancer cases per year can be prevented in the world.

Attention to factors that cause obesity!

  1.  Extreme and wrong feeding habits
  2.  Lack of Physical activity
  3.  Age, gender, education level, socio-cultural factors, income status
  4.  Hormonal and metabolic factors
  5.  Genetic and psychological factors
  6.  Appling very low-energy diets and oftenly
  7.  Smoking and alcohol habits
  8.   Taking Some drugs (antidepressants etc.)
  9.  Number of births and frequent birth intervals
  10.  Lack of breast milk

Many diseases are caused by obesity

  • Type 2 diabetes
  • Hypertension
  • Blood fats and high cholesterol
  • Fatty liver
  • Cardiovascular diseases such as arteriosclerosis
  • Joint disorders
  • Sleep apnea
  • Ovarian cysts and associated menstrual irregularities in women
  • Excessive hairiness
  • ded penis and hormonal disorders in boys
  • Depression
  • Some cancers

Surgery is permanent treatment of obesity

In the treatment of obesity, while achieving a lower rate success with diet and exercise, this rate is quite high with surgery. Obesity surgery not only improves the aesthetic appearance of the person, but also contributes positively to the quality of life. Therefore; It is very important to ensure permanent weight loss through surgery against diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, psychological disorders and sleep apnea. In obesity surgery, the method should be decided per individually. Patients can return to work and social life in a short time after a comfortable operation, and reach their ideal weight with an accurate planning.

Prepared by Memorial Medical Editorial Board.

25 November 2022

16 June 2020

Specialists in this Subject

Contact Form

Contact for detailed information.

* This field is required.
Social Media Accounts
Live support Easy Appointment